Labiaplasty is a topic that women often find challenging to discuss openly, even with a plastic surgeon. At the same time, it’s becoming an increasingly popular option for women who either feel self-conscious about the appearance of their labia or who want to remedy a physical concern.
Conduct an online search for “labiaplasty,” and you’ll see results that include vaginal rejuvenation, “designer vagina,” and other vague euphemisms. Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure that involves techniques used for specific goals, and we’ll discuss some of those goals in this post.
How Is Labiaplasty Performed?
Plastic surgeons performing labiaplasty have the option of 2 techniques for the procedure. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jules Walters typically prefers a more advanced approach called the wedge technique. This involves removing a triangular area of skin and excess folds from the labia minora before stitching the tissue closed. The results look more natural using this technique compared to the trim technique, which trims away the natural edges of the labia.
Whether you undergo a wedge or trim labiaplasty, Dr. Walters performs the surgery at our practice as an outpatient procedure, and the recovery time is similar. You can learn more about labiaplasty recovery in an earlier blog post.
What Are the Reasons for Labiaplasty?
Women have highly personal reasons for considering labiaplasty, which reduces the size of the inner labia (labia minora). Here are the most common reasons women choose to get labiaplasty:
1. Enhanced Aesthetic Appearance: Cosmetic reasons are one of the primary motivations for labiaplasty. Many women seek this procedure to improve the aesthetic appearance of their genitalia and may even combine it with other surgeries as part of a mommy makeover. These aesthetic concerns can include having uneven or elongated labia minora or enlarged labia that cause discomfort when wearing certain clothes.
2. Increased Confidence and Comfort: For some women, the size and shape of their labia cause discomfort or irritation during physical activities, such as exercise or sexual intercourse. Labiaplasty helps alleviate these issues, increasing physical comfort and confidence in one’s body.
3. Relief from Physical Discomfort: Besides improving aesthetics and comfort during activities, labiaplasty can relieve various physical discomforts. Medical reasons for this procedure may include chronic irritation and chafing due to enlarged labia, pain during sexual intercourse, or hygiene issues caused by excess tissue.
4. Correction of Congenital Conditions: Even though most labiaplasty patients experience labial changes after pregnancy or due to age, some women are born with conditions that result in abnormal labia development. Dr. Walters performs labiaplasty to correct these conditions, providing aesthetic and functional benefits.
5. Psychological Well-Being: Your emotional well-being is as important as your physical health. Women who feel self-conscious or distressed about the appearance of their labia may experience a boost in self-esteem and mental health following labiaplasty.
6. Addressing Age-Related Changes: Just as other parts of the body change with age, the labia can also undergo unwanted alterations. Labiaplasty addresses age-related changes and restores a more youthful appearance.
7. Increased Sexual Satisfaction: Does labiaplasty make you tighter? That’s not the purpose of this surgery, but it may improve your sexual satisfaction by reducing discomfort during intercourse. And by boosting your confidence, labiaplasty can improve intimacy and overall sexual well-being.
Request a Consultation
You can have a discreet, open, and nonjudgmental discussion with Dr. Walters about whether you can benefit from labiaplasty or another type of vaginal rejuvenation procedure. Call our office at (504) 517-6200 or request a consultation using the online form to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Walters.